Welcome! If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed.
We are in the middle of cold & flu season and maybe you’ve already had a bout or two of it in your homes this winter. Zicam shortens the life of a cold rather than masking the symptoms like other medicines or remedies, when it is taken within 24-48 hours from when you start to feel any symptoms (not sure if you have a cold or flu coming on? Check out their symptom checker here). My mother swore by their original formula while I was off at college, which you swabbed in your nose, but I never tried Zicam until I had the opportunity to review two of their new products.
I will be honest: I think it worked, which I am excited about, but I didn’t like how these particular products tasted. I tried both the Liqui-Loz and Zavors as soon as I started getting a sore throat shortly before the holidays and after a few days: nothing! So if you can bear the “not so delicious” taste (in my opinion) for a minute it can save you from days and weeks of misery. Well worth it, but there are also other formulas and products available for colds, multi-symptoms, allergies and even cold sores.
And all of our tastebuds are different, so heck, some of you may savor the Zavors and eat the Liqui-Loz like candy. Although I would personally choose the original formula I will gladly continue to use these if it means one minute of plugging my nose will lead to days and weeks of health and comfort.
How to Prepare for Cold & Flu Season
1. Exercise, eat right, get 7-8 hours of sleep a night and take a daily multi-vitamin.
2. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth during cold and flu season, especially after being exposed to viruses or bacteria.
3. Promote strong immune function by switching from coffee to tea, eating garlic liberally, and adding yogurt to your diet.And use zinc products, such as Zicam oral Cold Remedy, within the first 24-48 hours of the onset of cold symptoms to reduce the duration and severity of your cold.
4. Drink lots of water, which flushes toxins out of your body while re-hydrating your system.
5. While studies show that exercising for at least 30 minutes several times a week can help you stay healthy, our immune system fights most effectively when it isn’t stressed. So listen to your body when you feel sick, as a hard workout could weaken your immune system temporarily and potentially make your illness worse.
Samples of the products were provided by Zicam for this review.