When I first was approached about reviewing this internet safety software I flashbacked to the early days of internet safety software and all I remember was the hassle it seemed to be. I think about pre-teens and teens when it comes to internet safety, but it is important for every family to have some sort of internet safety software. It is not just about restricting what they can surf on the web and for how long, but also monitor personal information that may be posted that may put them at risk.
This software was easy to install and to configure and I can’t find anything wrong with it! Why? Because you can customize it so specifically to your family’s needs; you can use no settings/restrictions, use all of their features for a very restricted internet environment and everything in between. If you have multiple kids or internet users at home you can use the time limit setting to give everyone an equal turn, or restrict the amount of internet time per day. My daughter is still too young to be online, but there are certain websites and content I prefer to avoid and there may be websites and email contacts I would like the option to block.
So internet safety is not going to make you an “overbearing parent”, but rather a responsible parent as long as you are upfront with your family. Outline the rules and what settings have been set. This way your children can still have their privacy in the sense that they know ahead of time what you will be monitoring and why. They still may need to be dragged away from the computer or may kick and scream about the settings you decide to implement, but at least they will (eventually) come to understand that you are being honest and have reasons for the boundaries you are setting.
Overall Rating: 10
Ease of Use: 10
- Web Blocking – Choose banned categories and/or specify specific banned or allowed sites.
- Instant Messaging – The default is the monitor messages, but you may also block certain instant messaging programs from being used.
- Time Limits – You can schedule allowed times internet can be used to restrict the amount of time spent online with this feature.
- Email Blocking – You can approve email accounts or contacts.
- Social Networking – You can monitor the personal information such as addresses, phone numbers and other information posted on networking sites.
- Program Blocking – Prevent programs on your computer from communicating with the internet.
- Usage Reporting – Track websites visited, instant messaging conversations and programs used online.
- Instant Alerts – Get instant messages on your cell phone, email or telephone based on the sensitivity of monitoring you prefer.
About $4 a month or .14 cents per day.
$49.95/One-Year Subscription Download
$54.95+shipping/One-Year Subscription CD
I’d recommend the download, since it’s cheaper and there’s really no reason to have a physical copy. Visit their site to get your subscription (up to 3 computers!) and they also have a mobile version as well.
A copy of the software was provided by Safe Eyes was for this review.